The basement is one of the most important rooms in your house. It is the foundation of your home and any issues with it can create serious problems to the rest of the home’s structural integrity. That is why it is very important to address any problems early and thoroughly. Though you may be tempted to try to solve these issues by yourself, many basement problems require professional attention. Being able to identify your basement problems will go a long way to solve the issue.
The following are the most common types of basement problems.
- Leaks – Leaks are a result of neglected wall and floor cracks.
- Cracks – Wall and floor cracks are caused by pressure from the expansion of surrounding soil from water absorption. They will need to be filled in to prevent leaks.
- Flooding – Flooding can be caused by a number of different problems such as burst pipes, leaks, and backed up drainage. If a flood does happen the water needs to be removed, structure dried, and the cause repaired.
- Humidity – Even if water is not present in your basement, humidity might be, and can do just as much damage. If possible, try to control your basements humidity.
- Wall Bowing – Bowing is a result of wall cracks and requires immediate attention.
- Sinking Floors – This problem is caused by soil eroding below the floors and requires professional repair.
- Mold and Mildew – Mold and mildew are some of the most common basement issues and are important to take care of early because forty percent of the air you breathe on the first floor is circulated from the basement.
- Unpleasant Smells – Nasty smells are a result of humidity, mold, mildew, rot, and dust mites. Keeping your basement clean and dry is the best way to combat this problem.
- Failing Sump Pump – A failed sump pump can back up and cause flooding. This can be prevented by regular checkups from a professional.
- Degraded Appearance – Water can create unsightly damage to a basements floors and walls. Sealing entry points, quickly repairing problem areas, and having regular professional checkups is the best way to prevent this.
Almost all basement problems are created by the presence of water. Whether the water comes from the surrounding soil, leaky or malfunctioning pipes, a flood, or other plumbing issues, a professional waterproofing company should address it. These problems may seem easy to repair but the real challenge is creating lasting results. A professional waterproofing business like NESPros has the resources, skilled technicians, and experience to provide long term solutions to your basement problems.
Contact NESPros today to schedule an appointment for your free inspection!